Monday, March 14, 2005

New week, new review and a new FSF imprint

I finished up Mike Stackpole's A Secret Atlas and posted the review to SFFWorld yesterday. I enjoyed the book much more than I expected I would and I'm looking forward to getting the second in the series, Cartomancy, later this year. Not groundbreaking-reinvention Fantasy, but entertaining fantasy nonetheless, and sometimes, that's what is most important - to be able to open up the pages and simply enjoy the book.

Intentional or not, Grant Morrison's Shining Knight, part of the Seven Soldiers Über-story he's in the midst of publishing, gave me a very Moorcock/Hawkmoon-ish feel and of course I mean that in a good way. Stupid me; however, I forgot to pick up the #0 issue of Seven Soldiers a couple of weeks ago, but luckily the comic shop still had some in stock when I dropped by last Thursday. Beautiful art by J.H. Williams and a nice set up for the imposing dark threat to humanity the Soldiers will save us from, or will they?

The Fonz - A shaman? An interesting post on Lou Anders's new blog. Lou Anders is the Editorial Director of PYR books, a new FSF imprint with an interesting looking list of books publishing this year: a reprint of Star of Gypsies by Robert Silverberg, the opening novel to an intriguing-looking Space Opera - Paradox by John Meaney and a nice handful of other interesting books. Meany's book has already received a couple of favorable reviews. For some reason, maybe it's just the cover, the premise and scope of Paradox reminds me a bit of Peter F. Hamilton's great Epic Fallen Dragon. I'll be keeping an eye on them and the books they'll be publishing.

No comments: