Monday, May 30, 2005

A Feast is Finished...A Dark Lord rises

George R. R. Martin has completed A Feast for Crows, the novel is now in production. Without a doubt, a great many fantasy geeks like me are rejoicing.

About an hour or two ago, I returned from the movie theater. Was I satisified? Yes. Was it as bad as I thought it would be? No, I was actually surprised, perhaps setting the expectations lower was the way to go on this particular film. Was it a perfect film? By no means, I was beginning to wonder if the film wanted to end. Of course the film in question is Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith. On the whole, I left the theater feeling satisfied. Not completely, but satisfied nonetheless. Hayden Christiansen pulled of the part much better this time around and Ian McDiarmid was great and I can imagine he had quite a bit of fun.

Of course, almost no film is without flaws and there were a few glaring ones here. Padme was nothing more than a birthing chamber, she was almost a nonentity. I told Mrs. Blog o' Stuff Padme got a helluva lot dumber since the first film. There weren't enough Wookies and not enough of the planet Kashyyyk. As I said, the film's ending dragged quite a bit, much like Return of the King. It kept feeling as if it was ending, but another scene played out. I would have liked to have seen a young Han Solo somewhere in the film.

This was one of the most visually stunning films I've ever seen. By far, it was the best of the prequels, better than Return of the Jedi, and almost as good as the original Star Wars.

No comments: